Cityscape Paintings - FAQs
1.What is a cityscape painting?
A cityscape painting is an artistic representation of urban cities and city life. These paintings depict various aspects of the cities such as the buildings, skyline, people, parks, and more. From panoramic city views to a close-up look at a crowded street, cityscape paintings capture a wide range of views.
A cityscape painting brings to attention the details of urban life that we usually ignore. From clear blue skies to power lines and beautiful infrastructures, all the details are captured in cityscape art. Cityscape paintings are usually very calming and offer a different perspective on cities.
2. What are examples of good cityscape paintings?
Though cityscape painting is considered to be modern art, it has been around for a long time. Skilled artists have managed to capture the true beauty of different cities over the years. From abstract cityscape painting to realistic paintings, you can find paintings in every style. Let us take a look at some of the popular ones:
- Cafe Terrace At Night, 1888 by Vincent Van Gogh
This is the first painting by Van Gogh to feature a starry background. The scene depicts a cafe in France on a beautiful night with star-spangled skies.
- Liverpool from Wapping, 1875 by John Atkinson Grimshaw
John Atkinson Grimshaw is famous for paintings that depict urban life in the nighttime. Liverpool by Wapping is one of his most famous pieces and captures the foggy docklands of Liverpool at night.
- Early Sunday Morning, 1930 by Edward Hopper
This is one of Edward Hopper’s most famous paintings. It depicts the storefront of a closed business on Sunday morning. The cityscape painting has a very calming vibe to it.
- New York, 1911 by George Bellows
George Bellows captures the true essence of New York city with this painting. The painting features towering buildings, crowd, and the hustle of the city.
3. How do you paint cityscape?
It is important to have a reference picture of the scene you want to paint before you start. Choose a simple cityscape scene that does not have too many details. Choose an empty street on a Sunday afternoon or a silent starry night for an easy cityscape painting. Here are some steps for cityscape painting easy with no hassle:
- Add the background colour first.
- Draw the details such as buildings, vehicles, and people with a light hand with a pencil.
- Paint the details. Start with light colours and gradually move on to dark colours.
- Add intricate details such as the shade for the windows and streetlights at the end.
4. Where should you place a cityscape painting at home?
Cityscape paintings add a charm to your place no matter where they are placed. You can place an acrylic cityscape painting of your favourite city in the living room for a modern look. You can also place it in your bedroom in a strategic way where you can look at it every morning when you wake up. For the bathrooms, opt for tile watercolour cityscape paintings that can be placed near the washbasin.
5. Which colours should we use for cityscape painting?
The colours for your cityscape painting depends on the scene you are painting. Blue, green, grey, black, yellow, white, brown, and taupe are some colours often used in cityscape paintings. If you are painting a night picture, you will have to use dark shades of the same colour.
Cityscape Paintings - A view into urban life
A close look at contemporary urban art will show how cityscape paintings are rising in terms of popularity. This phenomenon is not just restricted to the art scene in one city. Instead, it can be seen as a global art phenomenon. These vibrant city paintings are known to cover various aspects of urban life, including buildings, urban parks, city skylines, and city streets, to name a few.
If one were to try tracing back the history of cityscape art, the path would likely lead to early Roman works. For example, the Baths of Trajan is known for its depiction of a birds’ eye view of the city. However, many of the cityscape perspectives would be reduced to backgrounds for views of portraits, right up till the seventeenth century. After a brief period of popularity in the seventeenth century, the golden age of cityscape paintings came in the eighteenth and nineteenth century. But with the gradual popularity of photography, the popularity of paintings did not hit a breakout moment. At the same time, prominent art pieces throughout the twentieth and twenty-first century came the art scene’s interest in cityscape paintings alive.
Cityscape wall art - Movements Across the Globe
Almost every prominent culture in the world has left its mark on the cityscape art scene. Here are insights into some of the culture where cityscape paintings flourished.
- Europe - This is where the origins of cityscape paintings first emerged. In the early and middle ages, many cities emerged across the European continent. However, it was regions like Venice, France, and Holland that evolved to become a budding ground for cityscape art talents.
- Asia - Two countries where cityscape paintings flourished are China and Japan. However, this development only kicked in the nineteenth century. Prior to which, nature art paintings were in vogue. Today, cityscape paintings constitute a significant part of contemporary art in both China, Japan and other regions such as India, due to global art exposure.
- America - A significant wave of change came about in the American cityscape art scene with the emergence of the Ashcan School school of thought. This art movement focussed on depicting everyday life in the early 19th century, especially in New York City. From that point, artists gradually moved towards cityscape abstract art. Finally, the art scene eventually made way to the current fascination for photorealism in cityscape paintings.
Buy Cityscape Paintings and more on Pisarto
Whether you are looking for the frantic energy of urban life or the calmness of a city in your paintings, you shall find your pick in the cityscape paintings collection on Pisarto. Apart from the city inspired paintings, you can also get hold of rural paintings for a nostalgic kick. There is also floral painting, Buddha paintings, and abstract paintings online to explore on the platform. With such a wide variety of paintings and a smooth online shopping experience, Pisarto is the ideal place to buy paintings online. So, go ahead and sign up to Pisarto right away to begin your painting shopping spree.
Popular SearchesPaintings | Acrylic Paintings | Organic/ Natural Dye | Yellow Golden Paintings | Paintings By Price | Extra Large Paintings | Medium Paintings | Paintings By Medium | Landscape Paintings | Religious Paintings | Black And White Paintings | White/ Black & White Paintings | Canvas Paintings | Horizontal Paintings | Modern Art Paintings | Silk Paintings | Abstract Paintings | Village Paintings | Bright Colors Red Blue Yellow Green Paintings | Multi-Color Paintings | Paintings By Shape | Vertical Paintings | Square Paintings | Paintings By Size | Figurative Paintings | Mixed Media Paintings | Green Paintings | Large Paintings | Small Paintings | Charcoal Paintings | Paintings By Shades | Oil Paintings | Acrylic & Oil Paintings | Indian Paintings | Split Panel Multi Piece Paintings | Wildlife Paintings | Buddha Paintings | Walkway Road Paintings | Horses Paintings | Elephant Painting | Animal Paintings | Pen & Ink Paintings | God Paintings | Nature Paintings | Mythology Paintings | People Painting | Black And Dark Shades Paintings | Still Life Paintings | dining room Paintings | Multi-color Paintings
|Cityscape Paintings Collection||Cityscape Paintings Price|
|Lazy City Street||
|Banaras A011 (PG)||
|Banaras A012 (PG)||
|Banaras A09 (PG)||
|Banaras A010 (PG)||