Sculptures Bring Life To Your Homes
Sculpture is a three-dimensional form of visual art. Unlike paintings which are traditionally done on a flat surface, sculptures are moulded, and one can feel its various forms and textures. They are also tactile, and the viewer generally has to move around to appreciate the artwork completely. Whether it is a wooden sculpture or a bronze one, it tends to relate to us more than any other artwork as it inhabits the same physical space as ours.
During ancient times durable sculptural processes originally used carving and modelling in stone, metal, ceramics, wood and other materials but since Modernism, there has been an almost complete freedom of materials and process.
The most commonly used material for sculpture is:
- Bronze - They are arguably the most popular form of metal cast sculptures. Their strength and lack of brittleness ensure they last a long time. Some of them have even lasted centuries. For example, the Dancing Girl from Mohenjodaro dates back to 2500 BCE. To create them, artists use pliable materials like clay or wax for modelling which is removed after the molten bronze is poured in it.
- Clay - They date back to the stone age. The reason why it continues to be popular is that they are light, inexpensive and durable. Clay sculptures are created by adding clay and moulding it until the desired shape is obtained.
- Jade - They are the best-known form of hardstone sculpture. It has been synonymous with Chinese craftsmen since centuries. They are well known for their durability and translucent colors. In China, they are often associated with ideas of purity and immortality.
- Stone – Stones are generally carved to ensure they achieve a certain shape. This sculpting technique is also considered to be one of the earliest forms of monumental sculpture.
- Wood - Arguably the oldest and most used form of sculpting, they are popular across the globe. They are crafted by taking a piece of wood and carving them until they have achieved the desired shape and size.
Sculpture - FAQs
What are the types of sculpture?
There are many ways of classifying sculptures but the most prominent one is based on forms. Sculpture in the round, also called free-standing sculpture, such as statues, not attached (except possibly at the base) to any other surface, and the relief sculpture, which are at least partly attached to a background surface.
What are the 8 elements of sculpture?
The elements of sculpture can be defined as the aspects that are often used together to organise an artwork. They are as follows:
What are the benefits of keeping sculptures at home?
In this day and age, where everything is just happening at a brisk pace, having a modern sculpture at your home can have a calming effect due to the magnetic appeal of the said artwork.
They can also add a sense of aesthetic vibe to a room and effortlessly express your entire personality to others. These artworks have a certain positive energy about them that cannot be matched by any other decorative items.
Also, emotions are often associated with sculptures. Whether it is a memory or feeling, many can relate to these artworks on a personal level. Many a time, they also possess thematic elements that can serve as a major source of food for thought.
Popular SearchesPaintings | Watercolor Painting | Canvas Paintings | Oil Paintings | Abstract Paintings | Landscape Paintings | Nature Paintings | Still Life Paintings | Buddha Paintings | Scenery Paintings | Radha Krishna Paintings | Indian Paintings | Modern Art Paintings | Love Paintings | Ganesha, Ganpati Paintings | Nude Painting | Sunset Paintings | Bird Paintings | living room Paintings | Acrylic Paintings | Black and White Paintings | Charcoal Paintings | Village Paintings | Animal Paintings | Woman Paintings | lady painting | Fish Painting | Elephant Painting | God Paintings | Tribal Paintings | Ship,Sea, Beach Paintings | hallway Paintings | Dog Painting | Kids room Paintings (online paintings for kids) | Beach Paintings | Horses Paintings | Floral Paintings | Bed room Paintings | Figurative Paintings | silk paintings | Paper Painting | paper paintng | Small Paintings | Human Painting | Mixed Media Paintings | Wildlife Paintings | office Paintings | Cityscape Paintings | dining room Paintings | Multi-color Paintings
|Sculpture Collection||Sculpture Price|
|Ganesh in Bronze (SG)||