Escape Into The World of Landscape Paintings
As the name suggests, landscape paintings depict natural scenery in the art, which is why it is also referred to as nature paintings. Nature has provided, propelled and inspired humankind since the beginning of time. It is the formidable forces of nature that have shown us our limitations, making us bow down with humility when faced with them. We have equated nature with a sometimes temperamental, motherly, playful and powerful woman with countless facets to her. Creative souls have been enamoured by her beauty which changes forms constantly, yet remains pure. At Pisarto, we are proud to feature artists who create beautiful landscape paintings in an attempt to capture the enigma that is nature in all her glory.
It would be interesting to note that in the Western world, until the early to the mid-sixteenth century, landscape paintings were included in pictures merely as a setting to depict human activity. Such works had either a historical or religious message. However, in the Chinese tradition, such works were already an established genre by the fourth century. These days, you can bring the grandeur of landscape paintings into your home much easier than you ever could in the past. Simply pick a theme and we have some of the best landscape paintings that will bring your vision to life. Keep reading for an insight into this genre of artwork.
Learning about Landscape Paintings
Such paintings depict the history of the natural world and here are some facts you should know about them.
- The main purpose of these paintings is to depict an actual and specific place. What is found in art is that some pieces are entirely imaginary or copied from reality with varying degrees of accurateness. When buildings are featured prominently, it is known as a topographical view.
- There are two distinct traditions when it comes to such paintings which are the Western paintings and East Asian art. They both have a complex, rich history which dates back to thousands of years. The Asian art includes Chinese and Japanese works which initially adapted Chinese styles.
- Landscape paintings can be considered to be China’s greatest contribution to the art world. It owes its unique character to the Taoist or Daoist tradition which is a significant part of Chinese culture. As a theme, it is unvarying but is a vehicle of infinite nuances of emotion and feeling that is comparable to the nude in the West.
- In the Western tradition, Albrecht Altdorfer is credited with the first ‘pure’ nature painting, aptly called Landscape with Footbridge (1517 – 20) displayed now at the National Gallery London. Some famous landscape paintings include Monet’s Water Lilies, Van Gogh’s Starry Night and Constable’s Hay Wain.
- During the Renaissance period, there was a renewed interest in classical ideals, naturalistic elements such as scenery and landscape led to a revival of studying Nature. Great artists such as Leonardo Da Vinci employed the use of the terrain which was depicted in the background of the main subjects, to leave possible psychological cues.
- Modern landscape paintings are inspired by the pace and changes of the current times. They are an evolution of the classical forms in ways that remain true to the roots, yet are distinguishable from them. Only time will tell whether there will be a return to traditional canvases or will contemporary schools lead the way forward.
Landscape Paintings from Pisarto Online
Our range of artwork, which is carefully curated from artists all over the world, is extensive and exquisite. At Pisarto, we offer oil paintings as well as acrylic landscape paintings of themes such as lush forests, towns by the sea and fields at harvest time, to name a few. Hence, we encourage you to dive into our collection and galleries and have the ones that catch your eyes delivered right to your doorstep for your personal and social enjoyment!
Landscape Paintings - FAQs
1. What are landscape paintings?
Landscape paintings refer to a piece of artwork which depicts scenic views of nature, such as mountains, forest, valleys, rivers, etc. The principal subject of the artwork will always be the portrayal of a scenic view. Apart from depicting various landforms in the paintings, images of seascapes, cityscapes, cloudscapes, etc. have also been explored in the past. Sky and effect of weather in various regions are the two themes that are often featured in landscape paintings.
2. How to do acrylic landscape paintings?
Creating an acrylic landscape painting that generates an intense emotion in someone who appreciates the scenic view just like you can sometimes be challenging.
So, instead of including everything that you see in the landscape, be selective and include strong elements that characterise that particular landscape. To further elaborate on how to ease the process for beginners, here are some tips.
- Apply a coat of yellow on a piece of canvas to give the painting a unified tone. It will provide you with a nice glowing colour under other colours used.
- Draw out a sketch of basic shapes, such as trees, river, land, etc. using a pencil.
- Establish the lightest and the darkest colours first using good quality paints. Split your paintings in the top, middle, and bottom sections to paint more conveniently.
- Judge the hue colour of the sky and clouds in your landscape and use appropriate colours in your paintings.
- As a beginner, it is not necessary to match the colour of the real landscape to that of your landscape art.
- As a final touch, reassess your painting’s tonal range by adding black colour.
3. Who are the best landscape painting artists?
Landscape paintings got established as a genre in Chinese art by the fourth century and made its way to the western countries by the 16th century. With the rise of Flemish and Dutch schools in the 17th century, painters experimented with exquisite pastoral landscapes as the setting of religious themes. Eventually, landscape paintings further evolved to explore other themes. Here is a list of 10 famous artists who are renowned for their works in landscape paintings -
- Jacob van Ruisdael - View of Haarlem with Bleaching Fields (1675)
- Thomas Cole - The Oxbow (1836)
- Claude Lorrain - Pastoral Landscape (1648)
- Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot - Recollections of Mortefonataine (1864)
- John Constable - The Hay Wain (1821)
- Camille Pissarro - The Boulevard Montmartre at Night (1897)
- Caspar David Friedrick - Wander above the Sea of Fog (1819)
- J.M.W. Turner - The Fighting Temeraire (1839)
- Claude Monet - Water Lilie series (1896-1926)
- Vincent van Gogh - The Starry Night (1889)
4. What makes a good landscape painting?
When artists create landscape paintings, it is exciting for them to be able to paint what they want themselves and others to see in it. They embed a personality and mood of their choice into the artwork. Many artists think what makes their paintings good is the absence of humans in it. This opinion might vary from painters to painters, but here are three general things which artists consider the most while painting,
- Composition of landscapes should be the topmost priority because, without it, the next procedure would not be possible.
- The four corners of the frame are the most important factor. Subjects in your artwork should not end in either of the corners. The subject should ideally be around the centre or either side of the frame, except the corners.
Many artists do not put up barriers in artworks, such as closed gates, fences, brick walls, etc. as it creates an impression of admittance to your scene. For example, while painting a scene of a field and you want to feature a gate in it, have it open rather than closed.
Popular SearchesPaintings | Watercolor Painting | Oil Paintings | Canvas Paintings | Abstract Paintings | Landscape Paintings | Nature Paintings | Still Life Paintings | Buddha Paintings | Scenery Paintings | Radha Krishna Paintings | Indian Paintings | Modern Art Paintings | Love Paintings | Nude Painting | Ganesha, Ganpati Paintings | Sunset Paintings | Bird Paintings | living room Paintings | Acrylic Paintings | Black and White Paintings | Charcoal Paintings | Village Paintings | Animal Paintings | Woman Paintings | lady painting | Elephant Painting | God Paintings | Fish Painting | Tribal Paintings | Ship,Sea, Beach Paintings | hallway Paintings | Dog Painting | Kids room Paintings | Floral Paintings | Beach Paintings | Horses Paintings | Bed room Paintings | Figurative Paintings | silk paintings | Paper Painting | paper paintng | Small Paintings | Human Painting | Mixed Media Paintings | Wildlife Paintings | office Paintings | Cityscape Paintings | dining room Paintings | Multi-color Paintings
Landscape Paintings Online with price
|Landscape Paintings Collection||Landscape Paintings Price|
|By the Shore||
|Sunset by the Sea||
|Reflection of an Old Town||
|Old Town by the River||